WHO confirms 3 Zika cases in India, health ministry says no cause for worry

by - 3:28 AM

The Health Ministry on Saturday said there was no cause for worry after the World Health Organisation (WHO) confirmed three cases of mosquito-borne Zika virus in the country. The ministry said it was closely monitoring the individual cases, which includes a pregnant woman, reported in Gujarat's Ahmedabad and that the situation was under control. "Only three Zika virus cases have been detected in around 50,000 tested and no mosquitoes are positive. Both pregnant ladies and children are safe. We're keeping a close watch on everything, nothing to worry about," the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare said. Earlier in the day, the WHO issued a statement saying a routine surveillance detected three laboratory-confirmed cases of Zika virus disease through RT-PCR test at B J Medical College (BJMC) in Ahmedabad. This was the first Zika positive case reported in the country. "The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare - Government of India (MoHFW) reported a laboratory-confirmed case of Zika virus disease in Bapunagar area, Ahmedabad District, Gujarat, State, India," the global health body said. Corroborating the report, the health ministry assured that the outbreak had been contained and all due follow-up measures were being taken. "India has strengthened its surveillance system in past few years, so we are able to detect and contain new infections. State health departments are all following standard protocols," the ministry said. The first case was a 64-year-old male who was detected with the virus between February 10 and 16 last year. The second case was a 34-year-old woman, who delivered a baby at BJMC in Ahmedabad on November 9 last year. She had developed a low-grade fever. Her blood reports revealed Zika virus infection at National Institute of Virology (NIV) Pune. The third case was detected when a 22-year-old pregnant woman, who was in her 37th week of pregnancy, also tested positive for Zika virus. The Indian government had confirmed these cases and had sent the details of the patients to the WHO in March after which the global health body's confirmation in these cases came on Saturday, a ministry official said.
Via: The Times of India

You May Also Like

0 comments